Monday, August 15, 2011

Bravo To Mayor Nutter For His Words, Actions


As many of you know, I was out of town for quite some time and did not have a chance to be here for much of what led up to the Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter's stirring speech to the Mt. Carmel Baptist Church on August 7. In fact, I was still out of town when this speech was delivered.
But I've since had a chance to watch and listen to the full half-hour-plus of the Mayor's remarks and I have to say that I strongly support everything he said. I like the way that he spoke directly, forcefully, and from the heart. So, I've included a major video segment of his remarks here so that you might savor it.
In my mind (and I hope the Mayor takes no offense when I say this) Nutter came across almost as Christieesque. At first blush it seemed as if he took a page from the Big Guy across the river.
But, in truth I feel the Mayor was totally himself. Uniquely Nutter. These were his words spoken with true grit. And that made me feel good.
I'm glad the Mayor got this off his chest. I'm pleased that he spoke up. He ought to continue to speak bluntly and act firmly.
I myself made it a special point to go into Center City this past weekend -- On Friday (for lunch) and again on Saturday and Sunday (for dinner). On two of the three days I was joined by my wife, my children and others.
We all wanted to send a good, clear, strong message: We support the new city curfew and the vigilant enforcement of the law and we're not going to let anyone take the city away from us; we're not going to let anyone push us off the streets of a great, vibrant city; we're not going to be intimidated by a bunch of young punks. And we're not going to settle for lame excuses for lawlessness.
We also wanted to patronize Center City merchants during this critical time and make sure that the commerce and well-being of the city went on without interruption.
We found the streets of Center City Philadelphia to be bright, well-protected and alive with shoppers, diners and responsible residents and citizens.
We invite you to join them -- and us -- in Center City!

No comments: