Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Coach Wright On Gay Player: It Didn't Matter

In an interview, here's what Villanova basketball coach Jay Wright had to say about former player Will Sheridan's revelation that he is gay:
“After I found out, I was like, ‘Did you know?’ And all the guys, [players] they were like, ‘Yeah, Coach, we knew,’ They just didn’t care and I guess I was just oblivious.
"He [Sheridan] was the perfect student, the perfect student-athlete, the perfect teammate. He never gave me an ounce of worry. He was so low maintenance. You could ask him to do anything and he’d do it. I don’t know. It sounds weird, but it never came up.”
One suspects Sheridan's sexual orientation "never came up" in part because Coach Wright treats everyone fairly and equally. He doesn't look at -- or for -- differences. He accepts people as they are. And his players follow his lead.
Wright leads by example. He builds a team; a family. He brings people together. And, he's still one of the classiest guys in sports.

No comments: