Saturday, May 7, 2011

America In The Age Of The 'First Person Presidency'

At National Review, Victor Davis Hanson has done a marvelous job of analyzing President Obama's Sunday night speech on the capture of Osama Bin Laden and look at how he's highlighted various parts and phrases in this excerpt:
“Tonight, I can report . . . And so shortly after taking office, I directed Leon Panetta . . . I was briefed on a possible lead to bin Laden . . . I met repeatedly with my national security team . . . I determined that we had enough intelligence to take action. . . . Today, at my direction . . . I’ve made clear . . . Over the years, I’ve repeatedly made clear . . . Tonight, I called President Zardari . . . and my team has also spoken. . .These efforts weigh on me every time I, as Commander-in-Chief . . . Finally, let me say to the families . . . I know that it has, at times, frayed. . . .”
Hanson calls this the FIRST PERSON PRESIDENCY. And indeed, it is perhaps the most egotistical presidency in American history.
As one moves along in life (and one encounters more than one's share of overblown egos) this much becomes clear: A Big Ego often masks deep-seated insecurity or maybe even more serious problems.

Anyway, you owe it to your self to read what Victor Davis Hanson has written. Click here for the full column.

No comments: