Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A Jewish View Of The 'Holiday', And More

Christmas isn't for everyone - despite what the recent Christmas Village brouhaha seemed to show. And I say that out of respect to all Christians for whom the holiday is a very dear, and very religious, event. To make Christmas a holiday for everyone is to take Christ out of Christmas, and I have no doubt that, to devout Christians, that's offensive.
I'm not a Christian, and I don't celebrate Christmas. But that doesn't mean I take no pleasure from the celebration of Christmas by Christians. I love to drive around after dark and marvel at the beautifully lighted houses and yards.
I listen to Christmas music on the radio, and truly enjoy some of the moving and deeply religious words and music. "O Holy Night" is a favorite, and I especially like and am truly moved when I hear the chorus sing "fall on your knees."
The opera "Amahl and the Night Visitors" by Gian Carlo Menotti never fails to bring a tear to my eye. And John Rutter's "Brother Heinrich's Christmas" chokes me up. (If you've never heard it, you really should, regardless of your religion.)
Click here to read the rest of Howard Lurie's column from today's Philadelphia Daily News.

No comments: