Friday, April 17, 2009

Old Radio, Kalas, Baseball

My grandfather had this great radio that he kept in his bathroom. It followed him from a shelf in the bathroom to an end table right next to his favorite chair, in the living room of my grandparents' rowhouse on 10th and Oregon.
I thought about that radio as I reflected on the news that Harry Kalas had passed away. I don't remember ever hearing music come out of that radio.
Unlike the other major sports, baseball works on radio. My 8-year-old son is a huge baseball fan. For the last three years, he has had to be in bed long before the end of most Phillies games. To avoid 162 arguments, my wife and I agreed to let him listen to the game on his clock radio while lying in bed. Most nights, I'd jump in bed with him and listen to an inning or two. I thought about his radio as I reflected on the news that Harry Kalas had passed away.
To read the rest of Dave Cava's wonderful column in today's Philadelphia Inquirer, click here.


No comments: