Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Speak Softly, But . . .

Obama came to the podium last night and knocked Hillary off the airwaves to deliver his victory speech.
Barack went ahead and talked for forty-seven minutes. Forty-seven minutes.
Hey, maybe he was paying homage to Fidel Castro who resigned yesterday. Or maybe he was giving one last wave to Bill Clinton who has always been known for undisciplined, long-winded speeches. Whatever . . .
On the other side of the political spectrum McCain delivered brief victory remarks and managed to slip in some good zingers. For example:
I will work hard to make sure Americans aren't deceived by an eloquent but empty call for change. . .
I have never lived a day, in good times or bad, that I haven’t been proud of the privilege [of being an American]. Don't tell me what we can't do. Don't tell me we can’t make our country stronger and the world safer. We can. We must. And when I'm President we will.
I'm also struck every time I hear McCain say "I have been an imperfect servant of my country." Sometimes, Big Mac's soft-spoken demeanor and gentle command can be every bit as compelling as the most lavish oratory.

No comments: